- This event has passed.
St Marys Church Higham Kent Higham-Harvest
19/09/2021 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
HERITAGE OPEN DAY
St Mary’s Church in Higham will be taking part in ‘The Heritage Open Day’ – Edible England’ on 19 September. This is a national festival of history and culture which opens up the wonderful and varied heritage sites across the country, bringing visitors from near and far.
Come and explore the unique medieval church and find out how Higham grew, harvested and consumed its food then and now. Also hear from experts about farms and crops, and how the local nuns ate and entertained. You will also be able to sample some medieval recipes!
Below are further details on tours and talks, which can be booked on arrival at St Mary’s, and the slide shows and photographic displays taking place.
- Guided tours of the medieval church.
- “Meet the Farmer” sessions: join local farmer, Richard Whitebread, for a chat and hear how his family has been farming in Higham for many years.
- Higham Priory – hear from Father Andrew Davis as he talks about the Nuns food and farming life. Including an overall survey of the priory’s farm accounts which detail the type of farming and production of the priory’s lands – which are the same as those farmed today. A description of the priory’s 14th Century Cook’s accounts and what they reveal of how the nuns ate and entertained guests at festivals.
- Slide show of evocative historical images of local farms from the collection of local historian Andrew Rootes.
- Enjoy the displays of photographs of the church, Higham farms and crops grown over the years.
- Taste the past with samples of medieval food.
- Or if you would rather, just wander around the church exploring the beauty and tranquillity of the church and surrounding countryside.
Timings of the tours and talks will follow shortly.
Please note if there are covid restrictions in place at the time, the event will be run in accordance with them. Masks at present are not mandatory but we would ask visitors to be courteous to others and wear one if possible inside the church.
11.30AM TOUR THE CHURCH
12.00 MEET THE FARMER – RICHARD WHITEBREAD OF GROVE FARM HIGHAM
1.00PM TOUR THE CHURCH
2.00PM MEET THE FARMER – RICHARD WHITEBREAD OF GROVE FARM HIGHAM
2.30PM TOUR THE CHURCH
3.00PM MEET THE FARMER – RICHARD WHITEBREAD OF GROVE FARM HIGHAM
3.30PM FATHER ANDREW DAVIS – HIGHAM PRIORY AND THE NUNS – FOOD AND FARMING LIFE